A license is required in the City of Festus for the sale of intoxicating beverages from July 1st to June 30th.
It shall be unlawful for any person, whether by himself or through the use of agents, or servants, to engage in the manufacture, brewing, sale, exposure for sale or resale, or distribution of any type of alcoholic beverages within the city limits, without first having duly obtained a license authorizing such manufacture, brewing, sale, exposure for sale or resale, or distribution, as provided in this article.
The qualifications to obtain a license are as stated below.
- Individuals - No person shall be granted a license under this article unless such person will be actively engaged in the control and management of the particular alcoholic beverage or C.O.L. establishment for which a license is sought. Such person must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age, of good moral character, not have been convicted of a felony, and be a qualified legal voter and taxpaying citizen of the state.
- Partnerships - No license provided for in this article shall be issued to any partnership unless all members of the partnership are persons who would be eligible for a license as individuals under the provisions of this article, and no license shall be issued to any partnership that has been the holder of a license that has been revoked.
- Corporations - No license provided for in this article shall be issued to a corporation except in conformity with the following:
- All officers and directors of such corporation must be of good moral character.
- The managing officer of the corporation is a person who is eligible for a license as an individual under the provisions of this article.
- Such corporation shall not have been the holder of a license that has been revoked.
Any person may be designated by a corporation as its managing officer if he meets the qualifications for a license to an individual and has been a resident of the state for thirty (30) days.
- Right of possession or occupancy of premises - Applicants for licenses under this article must be in possession of the premises for which the license is sought, or have the legal right to occupy the same, before any license shall be issued.
Forms - Applicants for a license under this article may procure proper forms by written request to the director of liquor control setting forth in such request the specific type and nature of license sought and the location desired.
New Liquor License Application
Liquor License Renewal Application
Identification of Applicant - Upon receipt of the application in addition to answering all other questions thereon, the applicant shall state his name and address if a person, or if a firm, partnership, or association, the name and address of each member of the firm, partnership, or association so applying, or, if the applicant is a corporation and requests a license for intoxicating liquor by the drink, the names and addresses of all its officers, members of its board of directors, all stockholders and ownership interests shall be stated; the requirement as to stockholders shall be dispensed with if the stock in the corporation is publicly held.
The following information shall be required in the application:
- The place of birth of the applicants and if the applicant is a naturalized citizen, the date and place of naturalization;
- Whether the applicant has been convicted of a felony;
- Whether any distiller, wholesaler, wine maker, brewer, or supplier, or coin-operated commercial, manual or mechanical amusement devices or the employees, officers or agents thereof, have any financial interest in the retail business of the applicant for the sale of alcoholic beverages, or C.O.L., and whether the applicant, either directly or indirectly, will borrow or accept from any such persons equipment, money, credit, or property of any kind except ordinary commercial credit for liquor sold;
- A complete description of the plans, specifications, and fixtures in the applicant's proposed place of business, if the applicant is for a retail license; provided, however, that this shall apply only when application is for a new location, in addition to the cost value of inventory other than intoxicating liquor at the proposed place of business.
- A statement that the applicant will not violate any of the ordinances of the city; the laws of the state or of the United States, in the conduct of the business;
- Whether the proposed location, place or premises, is within one hundred feet of a school or church;
- The type of license for which application is made;
- If applicant is not a corporation, the names and business addresses of the applicant's employers for a period of five years prior to the application;
- A comprehensive and informative statement disclosing the true ownership and management of the business; and
- Any further reasonable information required by the board of council members regarding the location, place, or premises for which a license is sought.
- Photographs, Fingerprints required - The application shall be accompanied by a recent photograph of the individual signing same, together with a recent picture of the exterior and interior of the premises. All applicants shall be fingerprinted. If the applicant is a partnership, all partners shall be fingerprinted, as well as the managing director of a corporation. The director of liquor control in his discretion, may make similar requirements of the officers, directors, and shareholders holding more than 10% interest in such corporation. The director of liquor control shall forward the fingerprints to the federal Department of Justice to ascertain if the applicant has been convicted of any crime.
It shall be unlawful for any person in obtaining or attempting to obtain a license under this article to make any materially false statement in the application for such license.
It shall be unlawful for any person to fail to make a complete disclosure of all pertinent and material information required in the application for a license under this article.
Full, True, & Complete Answers Required
No license shall be granted hereunder unless the applicant renders full, true, and complete answers to all questions contained on such application, and should an applicant make, or cause to be made, any false statements of a material matter in his application, the same shall be deemed cause for suspension or revocation by the director of liquor control of any license issued pursuant to such application.
Application for Original Package License
If an application sought is for an original package license, an affidavit by the individual owner or, is a partnership, all of the partners, or, if a corporation, the managing officer of the corporation, must be submitted therewith and contained therein the type of business presently engaged in or in conjunction with which the license shall be used, and further, stating that the applicant has, and at all times keeps in his place of business, a stock of goods having an invoice value of at least $1,000 exclusive of fixtures and intoxicating liquors.
*This information is a general overview of the rules and regulations regarding liquor licenses. For more information, contact the City Clerk.