TRASH AND RECYCLING SERVICES
Trash carts are available at every household for trash (black lid) and recycling (yellow lid). Carts need to be placed curbside (within 2 ft of the road) with 3 foot clearance from mailboxes, cars, lightpoles, etc., by 6:00 a.m. of your pickup day. If your trash and recycle are picked up on the same day, the carts need to be placed at least 3 feet apart from each other. Carts need to be placed so that the opening faces the street, with the wheels and handle away from the street. No trash will be picked up outside of the trash cart unless it is a scheduled bulk item as described below. Your first cart is free with extra carts available for a $3.00 monthly charge by calling Progressive at 636-321-2100. All carts stay with the home/rental property and are the property of Progressive Waste.
You must contact Progressive Waste within 48 hours to have bulk items picked up. Residents are allowed one free bulk item per week (must weigh under 50 pounds, NO APPLIANCES). As in the past, major appliances, auto parts, tires, batteries, and construction debris are not to be put out as bulk items.
In our current recycling program we accept:
- Plastic - soft drink bottles, milk jugs and plastic bottles, detergent containers and all containers with the recycling symbol and numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 and plastic buckets. (NO #6 Polystyrene, please!)
- Glass - rinse all glass bottles and jars and remove the lids.
- Cans - aluminum and steel - please remove food from cans or trays and rinse and place loose in bin. It is not necessary to remove the labels. Aerosol cans are accepted.
- Paper Fiber - newspapers, magazines, catalogs, mail, junk mail, paper bags, telephone books, computer paper, slick glossy inserts, paperback books, gift wrapping paper, food boxes, soda & beer carrying cases, are all accepted.
- Cardboard boxes (NO waxed cardboard, please!).
Place items in your recycling cart and take it to the curb on your scheduled pick-up day no later than 6:00 a.m.
In case you wondered: The City of Festus and our recycling hauler, Progressive, takes all recycled materials to Resource Management in Maryland Heights for recycling. Resource Management uses a system called "single stream" recycling in which all materials are separated at their facility. That is why you don't have to separate the materials. All materials, including newspapers, are placed together in the recycling truck.
Video on how single stream recycling is done in Tampa, FL, from You Tube.
Residents are allowed twelve (12) paper bags or cans per pickup, each weighing no more than 50 pounds. ABSOLUTELY NO PLASTIC BAGS will be accepted. Limbs will be accepted only if they are in 4-ft lengths and tied with twine or rope.
Should a holiday (Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, New Year's Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day) fall on a designated pick-up day or a weekday prior to a designated pick-up day, collection will take place the day after the normal pickup day (such as Monday will be Tuesday and on through the week).
Find out more about the trash pickup program.
See how the new automated system works -- from You Tube.
Handicapped Pickup Service:
Residential Disability Form
- This special needs service is now provided by Progressive for households who have no individuals in the home capable of moving the new trash carts to the street for weekly pickup. They will pickup the carts next to the house or garage.
- Complete the Residential Disability Form for each person in the home, have a physician fill out their section and mail the completed form or fax it to Festus Public Works.
- Once the form is received we will verify (which may include an onsite visit) and forward the information to Progressive to begin service in 2 weeks. You will be notifiied about the status of your request.