Trash & Recycling Services
Trash carts are available at every household for trash (black lid) and recycling (yellow lid). Carts need to be placed curbside (within 2 feet of the road) with 3-foot clearance from mailboxes, cars, light poles, etc., by 6 a.m. of your pickup day.
If your trash and recycle are picked up on the same day, the carts need to be placed at least 3 feet apart from each other. Carts need to be placed so that the opening faces the street, with the wheels and handle away from the street. No trash will be picked up outside of the trash cart unless it is a scheduled bulk item as described below.
Your first cart is free with extra carts available for a $3.15 monthly charge by calling Progressive at 636-321-2100. All carts stay with the home / rental property and are the property of Progressive Waste.
You must contact Progressive Waste within 48 hours to have bulk items picked up. Residents are allowed one free bulk item per week (must weigh under 50 pounds, no appliances). As in the past, major appliances, auto parts, tires, batteries, and construction debris are not to be put out as bulk items.
In our current recycling program we accept:
- Cans - Aluminum and steel - Please remove food from cans or trays and rinse and place loose in bin. It is not necessary to remove the labels. Aerosol cans are accepted.
- Cardboard boxes (no waxed cardboard, please).
- Glass - Rinse all glass bottles and jars and remove the lids.
- Paper Fiber - Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, mail, junk mail, paper bags, telephone books, computer paper, slick glossy inserts, paperback books, gift wrapping paper, food boxes, soda and beer carrying cases, are all accepted.
- Plastic - Soft drink bottles, milk jugs and plastic bottles, detergent containers and all containers with the recycling symbol and numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 and plastic buckets (no Number 6 Polystyrene, please).
Place items in your recycling cart and take it to the curb on your scheduled pick-up day no later than 6 a.m.
Single Stream Recycling
The City of Festus and our recycling hauler, Progressive, takes all recycled materials to Resource Management in Maryland Heights for recycling. Resource Management uses a system called "single stream" recycling in which all materials are separated at their facility.
That is why you don't have to separate the materials. All materials, including newspapers, are placed together in the recycling truck.
Residents are allowed 12 paper bags or cans per pickup, each weighing no more than 50 pounds. Absolutely no plastic bags will be accepted. Limbs will be accepted only if they are in 4-foot lengths and tied with twine or rope.
Should a holiday (Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, New Year's Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day) fall on a designated pick-up day or a weekday prior to a designated pick-up day, collection will take place the day after the normal pick-up day (such as Monday will be Tuesday and on through the week).
Handicapped Pickup Service
- This special needs service is now provided by Progressive for households who have no individuals in the home capable of moving the new trash carts to the street for weekly pickup. They will pick up the carts next to the house or garage.
- Complete the Residential Disability Form for each person in the home, have a physician fill out their section and mail the completed form or fax it to Festus Public Works.
- Once the form is received, we will verify (which may include an on-site visit) and forward the information to Progressive to begin service in two weeks. You will be notified about the status of your request.