Shed Installation Requirements
Building or installing a storage shed in the City of Festus requires a building permit. Submit a completed building permit application (including construction drawings or description of the storage shed) along with a site plan to Festus Public Works, 950 North Fifth, Festus, MO 63028.
A Storage Shed is referred to as an Accessory Building in the Festus zoning code. These are a few of the requirements to consider when applying for the building permit.
- The accessory building must be located in the rear yard, minimum 5 feet from the property lines (rear and side), 6 feet from the house and a maximum height of 15 feet.
- The total square footage plus any other accessory structure shall not occupy more than 20% of the required rear yard.
- If the accessory structures floor space is 400 sq. feet or over, a foundation/frost wall is required. No permit is required if under 20 sq. feet.
- Accessory buildings must be anchored to the ground (1/2” anchors into a 4” slab, augers, anchored into piers, etc.)
- Accessory buildings cannot be installed over an utility easement.
Please contact the Festus Building Department with any further questions or assistance.